[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020 Response to Answer for Question # 1

Anthony Gillman gl_agillman at seovec.org
Mon Jun 11 00:34:45 EDT 2018

*Jessica, It seems to me that although necessary and accepted, rational
systems much of the time seem to be looked at negatively.  I believe this
comes from the subordinates feeling a loss of control and freedoms as well
as completing tasks that may be less than favorable.   As I read your
answer pertaining to rational and natural systems, I began to realize that
most, if not all, rational systems are attacked ‘naturally’ by natural
systems.  I believe this comes from our human ‘nature’ of wanting the thing
that we do to have meaning and purpose. The following paragraph from your
answer shows an example of this.“In contrast, while the rational system in
place compels teachers to adhere to a common set of standards defined at
the state or national level, the natural system in place gives teachers the
freedom to construct their own learning targets to connect to the
standards. These learning targets allow for teacher autonomy in terms of
connections between topics and the order of skills taught. Similarly, in
the manner of a natural system, teachers have the freedom to choose
independently what content they use to deliver the concepts of the course.
For example, two teachers of the same course might choose entirely
different stories to teach the same concepts. As such, teachers feel that
they are in control, that their voices are being heard, and that their
administrators value and trust their content expertise. The natural system
displayed is people-oriented, and it allows the teachers to feel respected
and confident, which will increase efficiency and productivity.” Although
state standards, end-of-course exams, graduation rates, etc are legislative
expectations required by our officials, we (as building principals) will
need to understand the need for the natural system and support our staff in
their journey to find what works for them and in turn works for the not so
pretty rational systems. To further explain my point, we can look at a
fairly straightforward rational system like custodial work within our
buildings.  The job is to clean the building. The custodians are given
specific tools and specific jobs. But, here comes the natural system
attacking.  Does the custodian tell herself, “My purpose here is to clean,
but I will also set an example to many influential young adults about what
it looks like not to just do a job, but to do a job right.” ?  Most people
intuitively want to have a self-fulfilling purpose for completing tasks.
And if they can figure that purpose out, they will do a better job because
they feel good about doing it. A good leader does this for her/his
subordinates...helps them discover their self-fulfilling purpose.In
closing, when goals and tasks are established as needed to be completed,
the system likely starts as a rational system, but is naturally transformed
into a natural system as much as possible while all along being influenced
upon by outside entities which drive it in a direction preferred by its
stakeholders.  Hmm, that seems a bit connected and intersecting. Thank you
for your highly influential answer!Tony*

--
*Happiness is a proper balance of preparation and recreation.*