[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #1

Dusti Chapman dchapman91 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:47:45 EDT 2018

Rational systems are defined in the text and what I found online to be
systems that focus on the formal structures of an organization and sees the
organization as a group of people who work together to pursue specific
goals.  Rational systems stress the importance of structure over
individuals. Structure is the most important goal.  I feel like our content
standards as teachers is definitely a structure that can be seen within
rational systems. We as teachers then follow through by implementing these
content standards (specific goals) to our students.

Natural systems ‘provide another view of organization that contrasts with
the rational-systems perspective’.  The natural system as stated in our
text vies organizations as more akin to organisms than machines. This
system has a focus more on the human aspect of organizations.  This can be
seen at my school where we do the secrete sister/brother. At random times
we try to provide little gestures/gifts to a teacher in a secret manner. It
helps us learn about others as well as be there for one another.

Open systems have the potential to combine rational and natural elements in
the same framework and provide a more complete perspective as noted in our
text. In a nutshell we take what the environment gives us and transform
it.  It provides a conceptual basis for organizational analysis and
administrative problem solving. This can be seen in schools as the school
receives resources for labors, such as teachers and then educate students
in return that grow up to take part in the society.

Our text defines a social system as the way in which the school is
characterized by an interdependence of parts, a clearly defined population,
differentiation from its environment, a complex network of social
relationships, and its own unique cultures.  This can be seen in all school
systems. Every school system is made up of parts. For example: structure,
individual, culture. The structure equals the roles of expectations created
in the hierarchy. The individual is the beliefs and cognitive
understandings of the job. Culture, lastly, represents the unwritten
feeling part of the organizations: its shared values.