[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #1

Saretta Jackson sjackson at southpoint.k12.oh.us
Fri Jun 8 20:33:22 EDT 2018

Rational systems are defined, by our text, as systems that focus on the
formal structures of an organization and sees the organization as a group
of people who work together to pursue specific goals.  In this system, a
set of actions is organized and implemented to achieve predetermined goals.
I think this can be seen in a school by the fact that all teachers are
working toward the goal of ensuring all their students become successful
learners.

Natural systems view organizations as closer to organisms than to formal
factories.  This system has a focus more on the human aspect of
organizations.  This can be seen in my own school.  We try to have a
monthly luncheon with all the staff bringing some kind of dish that
coincides with whatever theme has been chosen for that month.  This offers
an opportunity for all the staff to interact with one another.

Open systems views organizations as influenced by and dependent on outside
environments. According to our textbook, organizations take inputs from the
environment, transform them, and produce outputs.  This can be seen in
schools as the school itself taking in the tax payer moneys, hiring
teachers, aides, and volunteers, using and applying all these resources,
and producing and graduating students.

In a social system, as defined by our textbook, the school is characterized
by an interdependence of parts, a clearly defined population,
differentiation from its environment, a complex network of social
relationships, and its own unique cultures.  This can be seen in all school
systems, in that the people that make up the school, i.e. the faculty,
staff, and students, are all complex and unique.