[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #1

Danielle Ramage danielle.ramage at vc-k12.us
Fri Jun 8 16:26:44 EDT 2018

6020 Answer to Question #1

School districts as a whole are rational-open systems. Students enter
buildings {input}, transformation occurs (learning, mastering
state-mandated academic content standards), students graduate to go out
into the world and be productive members of society {output}.  Within the
different buildings of a district there still remains a hint of rational
systems (each building is working to satisfy the district and the state)
but I venture to say that most individual buildings operate with a more
natural systems approach. They do this by building relationships with the
people within their walls, listening to the needs of the people (families,
students,  staff) and working together to meet the needs and optimally the
goals of the higher ups.

There really isn’t a difference for South Elementary. Vinton County Local
School District hands out course guidelines, subject blueprints and pacing
charts. It expects each of its buildings to teach its students content
standards and thus score well on state mandated tests.  Failure to reach
said goals, especially over time, has consequences, i.e. teachers moved to
different grades/subjects. (Rational) Within South Elementary, besides
being a part of the rational system that is the district, we show our own
rational system by dividing up into grade levels. Within those grade levels
it is expected that we will meet the needs of our students, teach standards
according to established blueprints and pacing guides, and show growth and
achievement on state mandated tests.  Natural systems exist by
administration allowing teachers to chose how the content is taught.
Teachers work together to share ideas, create lessons and comfortable
learning environments. Teachers help each other. They care for one another.
It is very much like a family.  A very careful balance of rational and
natural systems existing within an organization compliment one another and
sets the stage for success of the organization.