[Ous-lp-rp13] EDAD 6020, Answer to Question #2

Bruce, Brandy bj943410 at ohio.edu
Thu Jun 7 19:52:34 EDT 2018

Rational systems are defined as: perspective views organizations as formal instruments designed to achieve specific organizational goals. In a school system this would translate into custodians and janitorial duties, transportation, kitchen staff etc. The people in these departments all work together to achieve the common goal.

Natural systems are defined as: perspective advances the idea that informal and interpersonal structures within an organization are more important than formal structures. Natural systems do not share a common goal; unlike rational systems. In a school setting this would be all of teachers in a various department. Yes, they are all there to teach the students, but they do not have the same goals (objectives) as say the social studies or science teachers. They all just exist within the same building.

Open systems are defined as: a reaction to the unrealistic assumption that organizational behavior could be isolated from external forces. "The open-system model views organizations as not only influenced by environments, but also dependent on them." (Hoy & Miskel) In a school system this is everyone involved intertwined together; community, staff, students, families etc. They do not share common goals.

**Not sure if we have to site our sources, but I got the definitions for the Hoy & Miskel book. :)

Brandy Bruce

Graduate Student

Ohio University Southern Campus