[Ocees] Additional Announcements

Roosenburg, Willem roosenbu at ohio.edu
Mon Jan 14 10:39:25 EST 2019

Missed Announcements in addition to the one sent by Viorel about the Ohio wildlife meeting this Friday

1)      PBIO colloquium Friday, January 18, at 11:50 AM in Porter Hall 104. Dr. Pamela Puppo- Biological Sciences Department at North Dakota State University Using morphological, molecular and genomic approaches to understand plant diversifications. Refreshments will be available.

2)      Ecolunch slots available- I still have 3 Ecolunch slots available January 30th, February 13th and 20th.  Please encourage your students to sign up for a talk.

Cheers,
Willem
Willem M Roosenburg

President, Herpetologists' League
Director, Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Studies
Department of Biological Sciences
247 Life Sciences Building
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701

Office: 740.593.9669
Mobile: 740.503.4983
FAX: 740.593.0300

http://www.ohio.edu/people/roosenbu/

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
-- Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of
enthusiasm."
--Sir Winston Churchill
The first colloquium speaker for Spring 2019, Dr. Pamela Puppo, is scheduled for this Friday, January 18, at 11:50 AM in Porter Hall 104. Dr. Puppo is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Biological Sciences Department at North Dakota State University.

Abstract:  Plants are essential for life on earth: most of our food comes directly or indirectly from plants, they produce the oxygen we breathe, and they are indispensable for the water cycle. Also, plants are the main constituent of our ecosystems, in fact, it is estimated that there are at least 300,000 plant species on earth. But these species are not evenly distributed, and larger areas do not necessarily translate into higher diversity. So, what are the factors behind this uneven distribution of plant taxa?

In this talk, I will present data that supports topographic heterogeneity as a main factor behind rapid diversification events. Using genus Micromeria (Lamiaceae) in the Canary Islands as an example, I provide evidence that complex geological events through time are a main driver of speciation. I will continue by briefly discussing about my research using taxonomic studies to understand the ecological consequences of diversification. Focusing on the Andean genus Calceolaria (Calceolariaceae), I will argue that taxonomic studies are fundamental for assessing the consequences of diversifications and essential for biodiversity and conservation assessments. I will finish by presenting my current research on the polyploid Geum triflorum (Rosaceae), a plant native to North American prairies. Using transcriptomics, I am studying the early stages of diversification and how whole genome duplication might facilitate adaptation to different environments. Combined, these areas of research lead to a more complete understanding of plant diversification patterns.

http://www.pamelapuppo.net/

Please see attached flyer

*All colloquia take place at 11:50 a.m. in Porter Hall 104

Contact Information for the BIOS E-Mail Bulletin
Please send updates (people to be added to or removed from list), seminar notices, etc. to:
Steven.Edinger.1 at Ohio.edu<mailto:Steven.Edinger.1 at Ohio.edu>
Office Phone:  (740) 593-9484
Office:  064 Irvine Hall
Please remember, messages going to this list are going to between 250 and 300 people!