[Ocees] Field Biologists: Lyme Disease on Rapid Rise

Ridgely, Ryan ridgely at ohio.edu
Sat Mar 11 09:28:59 EST 2017

Frightening to here that it’s on our door step.

A very nice, active older woman, who was the “mom” of the mom and pop liquor store in RI (mentioned in Family Guy, no less) where I worked one summer and a few OU winter breaks many moons ago, contracted Lyme disease. It was horrid to watch what it did to her. She went from running marathons to needing every joint in her body replaced one by one over a period of a few years.

Not being a field work person anymore, I dunno if there are any clothing/field-wear “protocols” we could suggest here at OU. I used to help out a bit in the field when I was an undergrad at U of RI in the 90’s… and we’d do basic things like tucking pants into socks, etc.

-Ryan

-----------------------
Ryan Ridgely
Research Associate
Witmer Lab
Dept. Biomedical Sciences
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Athens, Ohio 45701 USA
Personal: http://www.ohio.edu/people/ridgely/
WitmerLab: http://www.ohio.edu/witmerlab
OUµCT: http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/ou-microct/