[Oafcs] Academy Update

Candace Fox Candace.Fox at mvnu.edu
Fri Feb 14 11:18:38 EST 2014

On Wednesday, Feb. 12, I attended a webinar via phone and computer so we could see a PowerPoint. Mary Jo Kohl was able to attend via phone so feel free to contact her if you have any questions. When I receive the promised PowerPoint, I will forward it. (Headquarters was closed due to snow!)

"Alone we go fast, together we go far". This African proverb has been chosen to identify the work that continues on the Academy idea, which is now traveling along two tracks.

First-AAFCS will be undergoing some changes. The Board of Directors will be reduced, governing committees reorganized, and some work delegated to other persons. The officers recognize that everyone is overcommitted and doing more with less so reducing the Board will address that issue. (Yes, I find that contradictory, but I think the idea is that not all decisions have to be made and discussed at the Board level, thus freeing some of their time).

Second-the Academy concept is still evolving and will hopefully be rolled out by June 2015-an extra year to study and discuss. The concept builds upon the current Alliance members-and yes, AAFCS is still visible! Proposed partners are industry groups, government agencies, and other groups with a common mission.

There are still many questions to be asked, and answered. I am encouraged though because I sense that they are listening! There is a link on the AAFCS website to ask your questions-please continue to visit that link.

Dr. Peggy Wild, AAFCS President will be with us at our Annual Meeting. Please come hear what she has to say.

Stay safe and warm!

Candace K. Fox, PhD, CFCS
Professor and Chair, FCS Department
Mount Vernon Nazarene University