[Oafcs] FW: NMAFCS's Response to Academy Model

McGraths 9374627200 at att.net
Mon Dec 2 16:54:28 EST 2013

Here are the notes from the Nov. 1st meeting.

Meeting Discussion:  Candace shared information about the Leadership
Workshop she attended,  distributing the Oct. 18th Concept Paper.

The Academy would include anyone who touches FCS.  Members could join as an
individual member or as a group if it becomes a partner.  Ex:  If you are a
member of OATFACS and if OATFACS  is a partner, then you are a member.

The graphic showed this as similar to the Alliance, everyone speaking as one
voice.   Each group would have a representative on the large board.    The
large board would be reduced to 5 members, and the entire organization would
be run by 5 members.   Fees to be a member have not been presented yet.

The plan is to roll this out in June 2014 and have it go into effect Feb
2015.    Information is evolving.

Thoughts:   It's hard to imagine going down this path, and would honor
societies and ACTE be willing to give money??

Carolyn Jackson - AAFCS Exec director and the board are developing this.

The whole idea is that AAFCS membership has diminished dramatically so to
beef that up, the academy would be created for everyone associated or
partners with AAFCS.

The American Dietetic Association does not exist anymore.   Eatright.org is
their web address.    It is Now Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

The groups are now part of the Alliance, but it is not paid.

Voting on the Academy will be in June.

Partners haven't been asked yet and might not want to be part of it.

Would a small staff be able to meet individual problems with affiliate
groups?

AAFCS executive director presented this, not asked to do this by the board.

Would scholarship money leave OAFCS to be presented by the alliance?