[Its-insec] INSEC - Phishing

Chapman, Matthew mc397010 at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 8 22:50:56 EST 2016

Hey guys,

        I'm emailing you all to give you a little information of what we went over tonight and the direction the club will be going in the next couple of weeks. Tonight we went over Phishing and some basic code that you can do at home to set up one of these Phishing pages yourself. For those that missed it the code and the slide show will be added to our website later this week so you can try it out yourself, also if their is interest in it we can go over it again with a different page and walk you guys through it in a more detailed manner so you feel more comfortable in how these types of attacks function and how you can identify them. However this leads me to the next subject on 3/22 we will begin going over Kali Linux a network penetration testing tool that we will be using for our red vs blue defend and attack games that will begin later on this semester. The first one will consist of  setting up a server our webpage on our network and trying to bring it down using DOS attacks. The purpose of these games is to let you use the tools that attackers will be using against your networks so you can become familiar with the different attack methods that are in use and how you can begin to think as IT technician to stop these attacks from being successful. So if this is the stuff that your really interested in learning i highly suggest coming to the next meeting. Also is their any interest in going to a security conference this semester i can look into getting us funding to go to these if we have people wanting to go. If you have any questions about upcoming meetings or want me to clarify anything please reach out to me and i will be happy to answer anything you have to ask.

Matthew Chapman,