[Its-insec] A request for the analysis branch

Kruse, Hans kruse at ohio.edu
Fri Oct 9 12:19:52 EDT 2015

As you may recall, we have a potential “client” who is creating a web site that will very likely become the target of DDOS attacks. I have been thinking about what to recommend to them, and came across a service called “CloudFlare”, https://www.cloudflare.com/.

I need for you to find out everything you can about this service (focused on its DDOS prevention capabilities). We need their capabilities, how the setup actually works, and cost. Some ideas on how to get started:
- review their web site of course;
- look for 3rd party reviews;
- see if you can create an account (without spending money of course) to get access to help pages and tutorials on setting up the service. Btw, you will do this kind of account creation quite a bit, so consider creating “throw-away” e-mail accounts or using an e-mail masking service. Otherwise, you will likely end of with a lot of spam in your inbox.

You will need to decide, as a group, what kind of workspace you want to set up, since the mailing list won’t be the right tool to keep notes and assemble them. You could look at Box, DropBox, GoogleDocs, etc.  Discuss on the list, and have someone take the lead on creating that space.

Hans Kruse, Professor and Director
J. Warren McClure School of Information and Telecommunication Systems
Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
367 Schoonover Center, Ohio University, Athens, OH, 45701
740-593-4891 voice, 740-593-4889 fax