[Itech] Return to the "apple way"

Teresa Franklin franklit at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 6 09:07:32 EST 2013

Hi Graduates,

Having grown up in the 70's (yes I am that old!) and having worked for
Apple when the Woz and Jobs were in the office and had brown bag lunches
with you, I am seeing more and more of the need to return to programming
being taught in schools and the building of computers -- all things that
were the norm in my early adult life. I taught AP Computer Science and
Computer Math over a 9 year stretch in K-12 along with my science duties.

I guess it is "Back to the Future" in many ways.

Here is some info that really got me to thinking about this:

>From www.youtube.com <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNc6NRX2JG4> - Today,
3:58 PM<http://www.scoop.it/t/computational-thinking-in-k-12/p/4012257687/2013/12/06/how-to-make-a-computer-in-107-seconds>

Kano is the first computer kit for everybody. Make, play, code, and level
yourself up. Coming to Kickstarter on November 19th. Sign up: http://kano.me

You might also want to look at the LiveCode website as well...programming,
is back in the schools and is being widely sought internationally in K-12.

Best,

*"A teacher affects eternity; [she]he can never tell where the influence
stops." - Henry Adams*Dr. Teresa Franklin
Professor, Instructional Technology
313D McCracken Hall*, *Dept. Educational Studies
Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701
740-593-4561 (office)
740-541-8847 (cell)
740-593-0477 (fax)
also: franklinteresa at gmail.com
*~~~~~~The best student-centered learning *experience in America~~~~