[Hlthpol] HPF Fellow M. Kaprow on FL committee to determine dosing limits medical marijuana

Cooper, Nancy coopern at ohio.edu
Tue Sep 18 12:02:37 EDT 2018

HI Fellows and List Serve members:  Marc Kaprow, D.O., HPF Class of 2015, serves on a Florida Department of Health negotiated rulemaking committee to determine dosing limits for medical marijuana.  As a recent News4JAX article explains, "The Legislature ordered the Department of Health to craft the guidelines as part of a 2017 law aimed at implementing a voter-approved constitutional amendment broadly legalizing medical marijuana."

Read the article here:  https://www.news4jax.com/health/panel-grapples-with-limits-on-marijuana-doses

". . . Kaprow advocated for starting with lower limits and increasing them if doctors later decide such action is necessary. He pointed to a dearth of studies about the efficacy of medical marijuana, which is still illegal under federal law. That makes it difficult for doctors to predict the quantities of cannabis their patients might need, compared to prescription drugs.

"What we are lacking here is the pharmaceutical data that usually helps drive those decisions," Kaprow said. "We don't have a large, clinically controlled trial to say this is what a normal amount is . . .  It is our job, though, to ensure the safety of the patients and the citizens of Florida."

Thanks for keeping me up to date on your policy-related activities. NC

Nancy Cooper
Coordinator, Health Policy Fellowship
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
307 Grosvenor Hall
Athens, OH  45701
740-593-2017 (office)
740-707-8425 (cell)