[Hlthpol] ATSU-KCOM Community Affected by Tornado

Cooper, Nancy cooper at oucom.ohiou.edu
Wed May 20 16:07:26 EDT 2009

Hi Fellows and List Serve Members:  Last week a tornado hit Kirksville, Missouri. ATSU President Jack Magruder explains, "We have been heartened by many people's generosity and support since last week's tornado profoundly affected the lives of numerous students, faculty, and staff in Kirksville.  ATSU has received numerous monetary gifts. All of these gifts will go directly to our ATSU Student Emergency Assistance Fund which is set up to support students in crisis."

"The need for financial help continues, however, especially for students trying to rebuild or relocate.  Currently we are aware of 21 students who have been displaced.  If you would like to assist the most affected students directly, please make a check out to the ATSU Student Emergency Assistance Fund and send it to Development Office, AT Still University, 800 West Jefferson, Kirksville, Missouri 63501, call 660-626-2180, or email development at atsu.edu. If you would like to make your gift online, please go to http://www.atsu.edu/gift, where you will find a link to give via credit card."

Dean Slocum, D.O., HPF Class of 2003, who lost his home in the disaster, explains, "I will recover, but it is my students who desperately need assistance.  All money collected goes directly to the students and none will go for any other purpose. Thanks for your support."

President Magruder concludes, "Thank you for your generous contributions as we work to help people get back on their feet. Your donations are a testimony to the strength of our community -- in Kirksville, in Arizona, and across the nation."

NC note: Please pass this e-mail along to any COM student groups willing to raise money to help their future colleagues.

Nancy Cooper, Coordinator
Health Policy Fellowship
307 Grosvenor Hall
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Athens, OH  45701
740 593-2017 phone
740 593-1730 fax
coopern at ohio.edu<mailto:coopern at ohio.edu>