[DU-L] Some DU History

Hedges, Steven sh269608 at ohio.edu
Wed Jun 29 01:48:34 EDT 2011

Dear Brothers,

This email contains nothing relatively important, but I wouldn't say it contains nothing important! Since it's summer and everyone could still use more DU in their lives I thought I would pass on some history I just came across.

While on the Alden Library homepage I saw a blip about OU yearbooks being online. For those of you that are unaware, old yearbooks used to contain sections of every Greek fraternity. I hope that now you can imagine my excitement. Thought I would share some info:

"DU" was Chi Delta Tau, I believe OU's last local fraternity, founded in November, 1952. They had to pass a trial year before becoming officially recognized by the CAC (No idea what that is yet). They became official in January, 1953. You all know what happened Dec 2nd, 1955. The coolest part, it was Dec 2nd @ 11:33am, it was a Saturday.

Chi Delta Tau was founded by four men in a dorm. I'll have to cross reference more, but I think I can pinpoint the founding fathers.

2nd favorite part: The first DU/XDT house was 15 North Congress St. I don't know if the original house still stands, but it sure looks like an old fraternity house. I looked it up online and it has 10 bedrooms, so possibly.

That's all for now. Enjoy!

Fraternally,
Steven Hedges