[DU-L] Recruitment Goals

Matt Eroskey meroskey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:09:04 EST 2011

Dear Brothers,

I hope this message finds you well and that you are all having a phenomenal
winter break. I realize I had messaged you all a week or so ago saying that
I would be sending out this email a lot sooner and I apologize that didn't
happen. I have been working on recruitment plans for next quarter, as I
mentioned in my nomination speech I would like to hit the ground running as
soon as we get back. Attached will be a .pdf that is a basic outline of
what I've defined as our "Recruitment Goals". This outline is based off of
the outline that Phi Mu Delta is using that was supplied to me by our
wonderful proctor Dave Foster. In addition to this i'm working on a
Recruitment Agenda which will be much more detailed and in-depth (please
watch for that sometime next week) I would like to make sure everyone is on
the same page with recruitment plans. If anyone has a question, comment,
concern, preference, etc please be sure to notify me right away. I want to
make sure everyone is participating in recruitment because I truly believe
this has to be a group effort for us to succeed this quarter. Immediately
after our first chapter meeting Dave Foster will be running our Recruitment
Workshop that everyone will be required to attend. I have requested that
the focus be on public speaking/talking about the fraternity. This seems to
be an issue that we've struggled with and hopefully we can get everyone on
the same level with do's and don'ts. Dave has also been encouraged to
invite anyone else he sees fit to come in and speak with us, but I know I
won't have to ask any of you to be respectful to any of the speakers
regardless of our current relationship(s) with them.

Our brother Phil has assisted me in securing rooms in Baker for our first
two weeks' events, which I greatly appreciate after the confusion with the
Event Services' list of "authorized people" who can reserve rooms. First
event will be a pizza party taking place in room 230 on Friday January 3rd
at 6pm. This will only last about 2 hours, but it will be an important
social gathering. I would like to set up a table in the room before-hand so
people that we invite in can see our letters and whatever else we would
want to put on said table. Week two will be a Modern Warfare 3 tournament,
Friday January 13th at 7pm in rooms 237 and 239. I spoke with the manager
at Gamestop when I was in town last week and he not only agreed to help us
host this tournament, but he agreed to supply everything aside from the
tables, chairs, and televisions all for free. He even said he'd contact HQ
and attempt to get small freebies to just give out to people (keychains,
etc). He seemed really excited about working with us, and even offered to
help promote by keeping posters up around his store if we made them and
added the Gamestop logo to them. My question to all of you is this: Do we
want to charge admission to the tournament? Consulting with Ben Smith on
the matter, I had claimed the money could go toward food for competitors,
or cash prizes, but Ben suggested another option as giving the money away
to charity which I also consider a fantastic idea. Any other thoughts or
concerns on the topic would be greatly appreciated, please voice your
opinion within the next week because I plan to be going forward with
completely advertizing this event at the end of next week. I know that's
not much time to think about it when the holidays are approaching rapidly,
but I need to get this done and I can't afford to lose any time.

Week 3 event is still in the planning phase. I've proposed a "highlighter
party" as a social activity that will be in our barn on Friday, January
20th starting at about 7 or 8pm. So far I haven't heard any objections. My
current thoughts on the matter are to try and invite a sorority we enjoy
socializing with to come hang out with us and invite their male friends
that they think would promote DU's values or benefit from embracing DU's
values. I understand that this might be common sense, but just as a
friendly reminder this will be an official recruitment event and therefore
remain dry. The premise behind this event, for those that are unsure how it
will proceed, invited people will be advised to wear a white undershirt, or
article of clothing that they don't mind being written on. We will supply a
plethora of highlighters to everyone and pass them around while we write
things on each others' shirts (things including but not limited to: cool
designs, DU related material, etc)

Another thing I would like to bring to the table is at least two
brotherhood events where we invite people that may have shown expressed
interest in the other events, or not have been able to make any of them.
Ideas i've been mulling over for these include a dinner night or poker
tournament, probably a Saturday evening. I still need help with plenty of
tasks in regards to recruitment so please be sure to contact me directly if
any of you would like to help!

Fraternally Yours,
Matt Eroskey