[Dtwg] pre-historic terrapin numbers/abundance

John A Crawford crawfish at uga.edu
Tue May 5 17:14:43 EDT 2020

Hi Russell,
I know of no records of terrapin abundance here in Georgia, but I would imagine it was high, given the productivity of the salt marshes.
However ,we have found numerous terrapin shell fragments in pre European contact shell middens here on Skidaway Island.  They were ilways in association with habitation artifacts that indicated they were used as food,  Our excavated local site is the well documented Groves Creek Site.
I have seen such shell fragments in other sites on our coast.
Terrapins have been laying here for several weeks.
Stay safe,
My best,
Crawfish

Captain John "Crawfish" Crawford
Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant
Senior Naturalist | Marine Educator
30 Ocean Science Circle | Savannah, GA 31411

p: 912-598-2364
w: gacoast.uga.edu<https://gacoast.uga.edu/>

[Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant, University of Georgia]
[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/GACoast.UGA/> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/GACoast_UGA>  [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/gacoast.uga/>  [LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/gacoast-uga/>  [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/c/GACoast-UGA>  [Snapchat] <https://twitter.com/GeorgiaSeaGrant>