[Csi-L] $$ Leadership Essay Contest $$ - CSI International

Williams, Natalie nw351909 at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 10 09:42:42 EST 2011

2011-2012 Leadership Essay Contest:
Advocacy as a Professional Imperative
Part of Chi Sigma Iota’s mission is "to promote scholarship, research, professionalism, leadership and excellence in counseling…” (csi-net.org). Since its inception, CSI has emphasized professional advocacy initiatives as central to the maintenance and development of our profession. The development of the six advocacy themes is one of CSIs many contributions to enhancing advocacy initiatives in our field (see csi-net.org/advocacy > advocacy themes).

The Chi Sigma Iota Advocacy Themes provide a model we can use to conceptualize and guide our advocacy planning and efforts. We challenge our members - students, professional counselors, and counselor educators - to consider the ways that they can engage in professional advocacy initiatives.

Those interested in participating are asked to review the advocacy themes and to reflect on questions such as these:

What does professional advocacy mean to you, as student, CSI chapter leader, counselor educator, and/or a professional counselor?

How can you continue to grow as a professional counseling advocate?

What efforts – great and small- can you take to engage in professional advocacy?

How can you use your leadership skills and positions to promote professional advocacy?
Resources

Resources such as the following may be useful to you as you think about and develop your Leadership Essay Contest entry. Although a literature search is neither required nor intended as you develop your essays, we encourage you to include citations when appropriate.

Burns, S. (2010). Best practices in counselor advocacy: Writing letters and emails that get results. CSI Chapter Leader Training Materials. (see csi-net.org/chapters).
Chang, C. Y., Barrio Minton, C. A., Dixon, A. L., Myers, J. E., & Sweeney, T. J. (2011). Professional Counseling Excellence Through Leadership and Advocacy. NY: Taylor Frances/Routledge.
Cashwell, C. C. (2009). Chair reflections: At the crossroads. CACREP Connection. Reprinted with permission at csi-net.org/advocacy.
Chi Sigma Iota. (1999, 2011). Principles and practices of leadership excellence. See csi-net.org/leadership.
Herr, E. L. (2010). Leadership: A Position Paper (see csi-net.org/leadership)
Myers, J. E., & Sweeney, T. J. (2004). Advocacy for counselors: Results of a national survey. Journal of Counseling & Development, 82(4), 466-472.
Myers, J. E, Sweeney, T. J., & White, V. E. (2002). Advocacy for counselors: A professional imperative. Journal of Counseling & Development, 80(4), 394-402.
Wester, K., & Lewis, T. (2005). It’s not just another line on your resume. Reprinted with permission at csi-net.org/advocacy.
Contest Deadline: December 1, 2011

Essays will be submitted in one of three membership categories: Entry-Level Student, Doctoral Student, or Professional Counselor/Counselor Educator. Prizes in each category will include:

First Prize:            $200, publication of essay at csi-net.org, one year renewal membership in CSI

Second Prize:        $100, publication of essay at csi-net.org, one year renewal membership in CSI

Two third prizes:     publication of essay at csi-net.org, one year renewal membership in CSI

Submission and Contest Rules

Only current members of CSI are eligible to participate.

All essays will be written by one person and submitted as sole authored.

Prior winners of the CSI Leadership Essay Contest may not submit within a three year period (i.e., if you won 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in 2010-11, you will be eligible to enter again in 2013-14).

Essays may not exceed 500 words; references and title page are in addition to word limits.

All essays must be in English and submitted using the Online CSI Leadership Essay Contest Entry Form.

Each member may submit only one essay.

Essays will be evaluated by a panel including counselors-in-training and experienced counseling professionals for originality, clarity, and relevance to CSI. They will not be returned and become the property of Chi Sigma Iota, International.

Winning essays will be published in csi-net.org.

Only original work is acceptable; all entrants warrant that their submission is original.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Carrie Wachter Morris, Essay Contest Chair at essay.contest at csi-net.org.