[CPN] Proposed changes to PhyloCode rules on publication

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Thu Feb 8 09:50:47 EST 2018

Dear CPN members,

I tried unsuccessfully to send this message to the listserv twice this week, probably because one attachment was too large.  I am trying again now without that attachment.

Having now updated the CPN listserv membership, I am sending material for your consideration.  As many of you are aware, the PhyloCode articles on what constitutes publication need to be revised to address electronic publication.  I think the CPN was in general agreement on this point several years ago, but the details remained to be worked out.  Over the past several months, Nico Cellinese and Dick Olmstead drafted a set of revisions to the current rules.  Kevin and I then reviewed them, leading to further discussion among the four of us.  The result is attached (“proposed publication requirements”).

Two other documents are also attached: “current publication requirements” (as they exist in PhyloCode version 5), and “publication requirements with changes tracked”.  As you will see from the document with the tracked changes, most are in Article 4, but a few related changes are proposed in Articles 5 and 7.

I want to be sure that this message was received by the four new members (Jim Doyle, Micah Dunthorn, Sean Graham, and Max Cardoso Langer) and the two continuing members whose email addresses I just updated on the listserv (Michel Laurin and Dick Olmstead).  Therefore, I’d appreciate it if the six of you would email me to confirm that you received this.

Let’s give everyone the rest of the week to read the proposed changes before we start discussing them.  Although the revised text is not long, everyone is busy and I realize some of you may not have time to focus on this right away.  I will be back in touch on Monday or Tuesday to ask for comments.

The address when emailing this listserv is cpn at listserv.ohio.edu<mailto:cpn at listserv.ohio.edu>.

Best regards,
Phil