[CPN] Companion volume progress report

Philip Cantino pcantino at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 11:33:15 EST 2016

Dear ICPN members and ISPN Council,

I have attached two documents concerning the progress of Phylonyms, the companion volume to the PhyloCode.  I know there has been a lot of concern about the slow progress of this work, which I certainly share.  I am happy to report that the companion volume is finally approaching completion.

I plan to send the attached document entitled "comp vol report February 2016" to the authors early next week.  The other document, which I don't plan to send to the authors, summarizes the progress made since 2012.  The most dramatic changes over this four-year period are the percentage of submissions accepted (87% now versus 32% in Feb. 2012) and the number of not-yet-accepted contributions that are "in the editors' court" (6 now versus 83 in Feb. 2012).  There are also 31 unfinished contributions that are in the hands of authors.  In some cases, those authors have been sitting on their contributions for many months or even years without revising them, perhaps because they believed that the book was never going to be finished.  In other cases, the authors received their contributions back from the editors only recently.  At some point (fairly soon), I think we need to set a hard deadline for authors, but the deadline needs to be fair to those authors who were not at fault for the delay in their contributions.

Best regards,
Phil