[CPN] proposed addition of Note 19.1.1

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Mon May 18 14:33:56 EDT 2015

The current version of the PhyloCode does not establish a starting point for authorship of preexisting names (e.g., whether a botanical name first published prior to Linnaeus’s adoption of it in 1753 should be attributed to Linnaeus or to the earlier author) .  Kevin and I are proposing the addition of a Note (see attachment) clarifying that the PhyloCode adopts the same starting dates for the nomenclature of preexisting names that the rank-based codes do.  This seems appropriate because the preexisting names are governed by the rank-based codes, and it is desirable not to introduce unnecessary disagreements with the rank-based codes on the authorship of these names.  This Note provides guidance but does not affect the functioning of the code; if someone ignores the Note and attributes a preexisting name to an author who published it earlier than the appropriate starting date, it will not invalidate the establishment of the name under the PhyloCode (see Note 9.15.1 in the attached document).

I do not expect this addition to be controversial, so I’m not asking you to vote at this time.  If anyone has concerns about the addition of this Note, please send your comments to this listserv by June 1.  If no concerns are raised, we will consider it to be approved by consensus.  If concerns are raised, Kevin and I will try to address them and modify the wording if needed.  If the concerns cannot be addressed in this way, a vote will be necessary.

Thank you.

Phil