[CPN] for your information: minor changes in the code

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Thu Jan 2 13:51:34 EST 2014

Dear CPN members,

When you approved a set of changes in the PhyloCode in November, it was with the understanding that Kevin and I would consider some points raised by Sean G. and David M. during the discussion of that set of proposals.  Kevin and I met about ten days ago, worked through the various points raised by Sean and David, and ended up agreeing with some but not others.  We sent a detailed reply to them explaining why we disagreed in those cases where we did.  If anyone else would like to see our comments (a fairly long document that includes their comments to us and to each other as well as our replies), let me know and I'll send it.  Since the issues all concerned presentation rather than how the code functions, we didn't think it was worth everyone's time to wade through the discussion.

In the attached draft of the code, the highlighted changes mostly resulted from the points raised by Sean or David, but a few are changes we initiated.  Since none of the changes effect the functioning of the code, we don't think formal CPN approval is needed, but we are sending this along for your information.  The only change that is substantive--though minor--is the addition of a new Note 9.16.2 to address a point raised by David about authors who don't use a surname.

The next important issue we need to address is electronic publication.  David M has agreed to chair a subcommittee that will examine how the various rank-based codes deal with this and make recommendations to the CPN about how we should change Articles 4 and 5 to accommodate electronic publication.  I have written to two other people asking if they will join David on this committee but have not yet received replies.  If there is anyone else on the CPN who would like to work on this, please let me and David know.

Best wishes to all for 2014!

Phil