[CPN] Fwd: proposed revisions of Note 9.3.1: call for a vote

Michel Laurin michel.laurin at upmc.fr
Wed May 1 13:19:59 EDT 2013

Dear Phil (and others),

On 01/05/13 15:00, Cantino, Philip wrote:
> Dear Michel (and other CPN members),
>
> In rewording Art. 2.2, we did not intend to imply that crown and total
> clades are the only types of clades recognized by the code.  We
> proposed deleting the other three types of clades from the list
> because they are really kinds of definitions and names rather than
> categories of clades (see our comments in brackets immediately before
> Art 2 in the proposal).  However, I can see how people would interpret
> our wording to mean that these are the only kinds of clades recognized
> by the code.  I suggest that we address this problem by adding a new
> Note 2.2.1, worded something like this:  "Art. 2.2 is not intended to
> imply that crown clades and total clades are the only clades whose
> names are governed by this code.Minimum clade definitions, maximum
> clade definitions, and apomorphy-based definitions can be used to
> define the names of clades that are neither crown nor total."
     I don't see the advantage of this change. If simplification is what
is aimed at, the fact that we would need to add explanations would
negate the effect of deleting three kinds of definitions. And even that
explanation is only half-convincing. Paleontologists might think that we
are accommodating their needs as an after-thought, and might wrongly
think that their clade name/definitions combinations are somehow not
important in PN, as implemented in the ICPN. Besides, the spirit of this
change seems to run counter with the move towards a more general
formulation (maximal and minimal clades, and earlier, branch-based
rather than stem-based). There has been relatively little use of the
ICPN so far (by comparison with the number of systematics papers), so do
we even have a big enough sample to tell that most clades named and
defined under the ICPN in the next 10 years are likely to be crown-based
or total clades? And do we have the stats about what has been done so
far? I don't. Personally, I would be cautious to put anything in the
code that might discourage some potential users. It is hard enough to
get our colleagues to use the ICPN as it is.

> Regarding the wording of apomorphy-based clades and apomorphy-modified
> crown clade definitions, are the wordings you highlighted the only
> ones you are concerned about?
     No, I did not really highlight anything. I just inserted a note in
the paragraph.
> If so, I don't understand why you don't have the same concerns about
> the other wordings that use "exhibited" rather than synapomorphic.
     I do have concerns about all proposed formulations of
apomorphy-based definitions in the proposed amendment. I would suggest this:

" An apomorphy-based definition may take the form "the clade originating
in the ancestor in which apomorphy M, synapomorphic with A, originated.
" or " the clade for which M, *synapomorphic with* A, is an apomorphy "
or " the clade characterized by apomorphy M *synapomorphic with* A "
(modified parts in bold text).
> As a basis for discussion, it would be helpful if you would send the
> listserv the exact wording you would like for each formulation of
> these two kinds of definitions (at least those formulations that you
> would like to change).
     See above.

> Best wishes,
> Phil