[CPN] proposed revisions of Note 9.3.1

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Wed Apr 17 12:07:38 EDT 2013

Dear CPN members,

As background for some of the proposed changes to Note 9.3.1, I am sending
a manuscript currently in press in the journal Systematic Biology that
explains in greater detail the rationale for changing the terms
"node-based" and "branch-based" to "minimum clade" and "maximum clade,"
respectively.  I anticipate that some (perhaps many) of you will have an
initial negative reaction to this proposed change, given that the former
terms have fairly clear meanings and are well-established in the
literature.  As one of the people who originally proposed the currently
established terminology, I have not made this new proposal lightly.  It
was done 1) to make the terminology consistent with different kinds of
phylogenetic trees (particularly those in which the nodes represent taxa),
2) to make the PhyloCode less open to criticisms from people who argue
that the two kinds of definitions are not different (because they
interpret the MRCA as an entire species [= branch] rather than the last
part of a species [= node]), and 3) to avoid confusions similar to those
of Martin et al. (2011), which serve as the point of departure for the
attached article.

All the best,
Kevin

P.S.  As this article is not yet published, please to not circulate it.