[CPN] Next items of business

Cantino, Philip cantino at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:26:52 EST 2013

Dear CPN members,

We need to finish addressing the remaining issues that stemmed from a proposal (attached) for a series of related changes in the PhyloCode submitted to the CPN over a year ago by Nico Cellinese, David Baum and Brent Mishler (we've been referring to this as the CBM proposal).  The authors elaborated on the underlying rationale for these proposals in a paper in Systematic Biology (61:885-891 [2012]).  Although, the discussion of the CBM proposal has largely been finished, there is still some work to do.

We have three new members--Nico Cellinese, David Hillis and Jim Doyle--who have participated in the CPN discussion.  They need to be informed about our progress to date before we consider the remaining issues.  To this end (and also to remind the rest of us where things stand, since we've been at this for over a year), I prepared the attached chronology of the CPN discussion and decisions related to the CBM proposal.  I also attached a detailed list of the resulting changes in the PhyloCode that have been approved by the CPN.  In places, the chronology refers to particular parts of the code without explaining what the proposed changes are; you can find those changes in the attached list of approved changes.  At the very end of the chronology is a list of three items that the CPN still needs to consider.  In all three cases, Kevin and I have proposed wording ready to submit to the CPN.

Before we proceed, I would like to give the new members at least a week to read these materials.  Meanwhile, there is another matter to attend to: we need to elect a chairperson and secretary.  The previous chairperson, Dave Tank, is no longer on the committee.  The previous secretary, David Marjanovic, is still a member, but the terms for these offices are one year.  I have been acting as sort of a de facto chairperson since Dave's term expired in October.  I am willing to continue in that role but would also be really delighted if someone else would volunteer to take it on.  It requires staying on top of the discussion and keeping things moving along, calling for a vote when discussion has ended, but not cutting off discussion that is still active.

So please, volunteer if you would like to serve as chairperson or secretary.

Phil