[CPN] please vote on deletion of Rec. 11.4B

Frank Anderson feander at siu.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:48:08 EDT 2012

I vote NO -- retain Rec. 11.4B.  I don't have a strong opinion either way, and my default in such situations is to take no action (or, in this case, to vote for taking no action).  I don't see the harm in retaining the recommendation, especially if it helps encourage "sensible nomenclatural practice".

Cheers,
Andy

On Sep 24, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Cantino, Philip wrote:

> Dear CPN members,
>
> I am following up on my Sept. 17 message (copied below).  Since no one commented further on the question whether Art. 11.4 should be deleted, I am calling for a vote.  Please send your vote to this listserv  <cpn at listserv.ohio.edu> by FRIDAY (Sept. 28).
> YES=Delete Rec. 11.4B
> NO=Retain Rec. 11.4B
>
>> Recommendation 11.4B. If a specimen that is not a type is used as a specifier in the first situation described in Rec. 11.4A, and a species that includes this specimen is subsequently named under the appropriate rank-based code, this specimen should be chosen as the type of the species name.
>

> Pro and Con arguments, respectively:
>> 1) The PhyloCode should not recommend that specific actions be taken under the rank-based codes.  What Rec. 11.4B recommends is simply sensible nomenclatural practice and therefore likely to be done anyway.
>> 2) Sometimes it's a good idea to spell out the obvious. A Recommendation is just a recommendation; it is by definition unenforceable -- we even say, in item 5 of the Preamble, that other people shouldn't try to enforce Recommendations for us: "editors and reviewers should not require that they be followed".

Frank E. (Andy) Anderson
Associate Professor, Department of Zoology
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901 USA
www.zoology.siu.edu/people/anderson.html