[CPN] Discussion to incorporate elements of CMB proposal

David Tank dtank at uidaho.edu
Fri May 11 15:30:17 EDT 2012

Hi All,

It's been brought to my attention that the results of the vote on the CMB proposal have been made public:  http://3lbmonkeybrain.blogspot.com/2012/05/phylocode-will-not-be-amended.html

Clearly community discussion is what we wanted all along, but the unfortunate thing is that the authors of the proposal found out about the results of the vote not from us, but through the grapevine via this blog, and they are not too happy about it.

I feel that it is our responsibility to communicate directly with the authors to let them know where we are in this process and give them some idea of the discussion that took place.  Something along the lines of:

Thank you for your thoughtful proposal for changes to the PhyloCode, with respect to species.  The CPN has voted to reject this proposal, however, with that decision, the committee also decided to continue discussion of the proposal to identify if there are elements of the proposal we would like to consider as revisions of the current draft code.  That discussion is still ongoing, and we will make you and the rest of the society aware of these changes through the news section of the ISPN website.

Please feel free to edit - add, delete, etc. - I want this communication with the authors of the proposal to come from the CPN, not just me, so I appreciate your input.  Also, I wonder if we should post several of the responses and or snippets of the discussion for the authors and rest of the society to see?  For example, I feel that Dick Olmstead's review that he shared with the committee, David Hillis' comments, and Kevin's response do a very good job of articulating the position of the CPN, and it seems like the authors and the society should be aware of these.  Any thoughts?

Best,
Dave

David C. Tank
Assistant Professor & Director, Stillinger Herbarium
University of Idaho
208.885.7033
dtank at uidaho.edu
http://www.phylodiversity.net/dtank/