[CPN] Window for comments on proposal

David Tank dtank at uidaho.edu
Tue Jan 10 13:27:24 EST 2012

Hi all,

2 things.

First, yes, I think that we (CPN) should get this discussion going now.  If you haven't taken the time to read the proposal yet, now is a good time - if you have, and would like to comment, great.  A couple folks have already - I've pasted that thread below.

Second, Mike K. wrote:
> I'd like to send out a link once the date on that page is changed.
This is a great idea.  I've cc'd Torsten here, so that he can update the comment window on the web to Jan. 31.  Thanks, Torsten.

Mike, will you please send a note to the society to make them aware of this.

Best,
Dave

Mike Keesey: Oct 5.

> I like the idea of removing the dependency on species from the code,
> thus avoiding the "species problem". In the past I've advocated a
> similar approach, where we deal in organisms rather than species.
> However, since then I've realized there is also an "organism problem"!
> That is, it's not always clear in biology what constitutes an
> individual organism (think of slime molds, lichens, etc.).
>
> Now I think perhaps it is preferable to think of phylogeny in terms of
> taxonomic units. A phylogeny is a directed, acyclic graph wherein the
> nodes are taxonomic units and the [directed] edges are [immediate]
> ancestor-descendant relationships. How units and relationships are
> determined is beyond the purview of the code (just as taxonomy is
> beyond the purview of the rank-based codes), but the code requires
> them in order to be applied.
>
> So I would suggest that perhaps we use the phrase "taxonomic units"
> (or, where clear, just "units") instead of "organisms", "populations",
> "species", etc.
>
> I've written a document explaining this approach in nauseating detail:
> http://namesonnodes.org/ns/math/2009/index.html
>
>> Art. 2.1: I agree with the proposal, though I like Keesey's "ancestral set"
>> even better.
>
> More recently I've been using the term "cladogen":
> http://namesonnodes.org/ns/math/2009/index.html#section-Cladogens
> --
> T. Michael Keesey
> http://tmkeesey.net/

David M., Oct 6:

>>> I'll offer some preliminary thoughts as well.
>>>
>>> I like the idea of removing the dependency on species from the
>>> code, thus avoiding the "species problem". In the past I've
>>> advocated a similar approach, where we deal in organisms rather
>>> than species. However, since then I've realized there is also an
>>> "organism problem"! That is, it's not always clear in biology what
>>> constitutes an individual organism (think of slime molds, lichens,
>>> etc.).
>
> That's true, but the organism problem is much, much smaller than the
> species problem! Cases where it could lead to actual trouble will be, at
> most, so rare that we (the CPN) could easily deal with them on a
> case-to-case basis.
>
>>> Now I think perhaps it is preferable to think of phylogeny in terms
>>> of taxonomic units. A phylogeny is a directed, acyclic graph
>>> wherein the nodes are taxonomic units and the [directed] edges are
>>> [immediate] ancestor-descendant relationships. How units and
>>> relationships are determined is beyond the purview of the code
>>> (just as taxonomy is beyond the purview of the rank-based codes),
>>> but the code requires them in order to be applied.
>>>
>>> So I would suggest that perhaps we use the phrase "taxonomic
>>> units" (or, where clear, just "units") instead of "organisms",
>>> "populations", "species", etc.
>
> This will be misunderstood to include "higher taxa".
>
>>> I've written a document explaining this approach in nauseating
>>> detail: http://namesonnodes.org/ns/math/2009/index.html
>
> I'll try to read it sometime... :-]

>>> More recently I've been using the term "cladogen":
>>> http://namesonnodes.org/ns/math/2009/index.html#section-Cladogens
>
> That's a nice word!

Oct 6: Mike Keesey:

> [...]
>> case-to-case basis.
>
> Likely true, and, to be clear, I would definitely favor using
> "organisms" over "species", even if my ultimate preference is
> "[taxonomic] units".
>
>> This will be misunderstood to include "higher taxa".
>
> If a taxonomic unit in a phylogenetic hypothesis is a "higher taxon"
> then that is actually what I mean!
>
> I see the process of phylogenetic nomenclature this way:
>
> 1) A researcher, using whatever criteria they desire, organizes the
> relevant life forms into units.
>
> 2) The researcher, again using whatever criteria they desire,
> hypothesizes ancestor-descendant relationships between the units. We
> now have a phylogenetic hypothesis, which is a directed, acyclic graph
> where the taxonomic units are the nodes (or vertices) and the
> immediate ancestor-descendant relationships are the directed edges (or
> arcs).
>
> 3) The researcher consults RegNum for definitions which are applicable
> to the phylogenetic hypothesis. Definitions are applicable if their
> specifiers indicate units or unions of units in the hypothesis. (A
> specimen should generally indicate a single unit, a species is just a
> proxy for its type specimen, and an apomorphy may indicate a union of
> any number of units, as may the term "extant".)
>
> 4) The researcher applies these definitions. Definitions indicate
> operations which yield either the empty set, an individual unit, or a
> union of units, depending on the phylogenetic hypothesis.
>
> 5) The names associated with these definitions, under the PhyloCode,
> may now be used to refer to the appropriate taxa yielded by the
> definitions (under the phylogenetic hypothesis).
>
> So, for example, suppose we have a phylogenetic hypothesis where one
> of the units is "Aves", and we seek to apply a definition which uses
> the type specimen of _Vultur gryphus_ as a specifier. (Note that, per
> Note 11.1.1, "When a species is cited as a specifier, the implicit
> specifier is the type of that species name (if a type has been
> designated) under the appropriate rank-based code.") Then, in that
> context, the taxonomic unit "Aves" is indicated by that specifier
> (never mind that it's a "higher taxon").
>
> You may ask, what happens if another specifier indicates the same
> unit? E.g., how do we apply the definition of _Neognathae_ (the
> branch-modified node-based clade stemming from the last common
> ancestor of all extant members of the branch-based clade stemming from
> the first ancestor of _Vultur gryphus_ not also ancestral to _Tinamus
> major_ or _Struthio camelus_)? All three of the specifiers indicate
> the same unit ("Aves"), so doesn't that definition yield the empty
> set? The answer is, yes, *under that context*, _Neognathae_ is empty!
> But the conclusion to be drawn from this isn't that there are no
> neognathes *under any context*, rather that this particular context is
> too coarse for a useful application of the definition.

David C. Tank
Assistant Professor & Director, Stillinger Herbarium
University of Idaho
208.885.7033
dtank at uidaho.edu
http://www.phylodiversity.net/dtank/