[CPN] Recent items for discussion

Kevin Padian kpadian at berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 18 17:41:12 EST 2011

Okay, so, if I understand Kevin's second point, the first kind of delay is
caused because the editors could use some more help; the second kind might
be mitigated with more pressure on authors from the editors.  Both delays
suggest that additional editorial help is needed, no?

Also, I think it is important to consider the systematic community,
because these are the people who will either use PhyloCode or not.  If
not, then we have a small group of people talking to each other and no one
outside them caring very much.  To be useful and used, a system has to
have buy-in from its consumers.  So the news that many people think that
the PhyloCode is dead should be a wake-up call.  Whereas accomplishing a
complete classification of plants or animals may have taken decades in
another century, and the Jepson Manual revisions still took 30 years (and
well worth it; the existing manual was still in use, though), we are in a
different age now, and we have more people to share the load; also, we're
not exactly having a great following on Facebook and Twitter.

Could the PhyloCode be published without the full Companion Volume but
with a few examples of successful (and maybe unsuccessful) examples?  This
is the proposal that I suggest to the group.  -- kp