[CPN] Publication-Related Issues

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:54:47 EST 2011

1.  I'm not sure that we need this meeting.  Perhaps this will become clear when we start discussing the species issue.

2.  I'm opposed to the idea of circulating a call of further modifications of the PhyloCode at this late date.  People have had plenty of time to do this, and we have some significant proposals to deal with in the near future (species, electronic publishing).

3.  As I said in my earlier message, we're stuck with the Companion Volume for better or worse.  Changing the model so that the CV is no longer tied to the start of the PhyloCode runs the serious risk of destroying the project altogether and fragmenting the community as a consequence.  People just have to be patient.  Note that the Zoological Code took over 60 years from initial drafts by Strickland until the publication of the first official code, so we're really not doing badly by comparison.

One thing I don't understand is why it's important that some members of the systematic community THINK that the project is dead.  What they think has little bearing on what is actually happening.

Kevin