[CPN] Electronic publication; companion volume

de Queiroz, Kevin deQueirozK at si.edu
Thu Jan 6 14:45:37 EST 2011

Hi David et al.,

I agree that we should reconsider the issue of electronic publishing for the PhyloCode (I have previously sent Phil several messages about this but we have not yet done anything about it).  Electronic-only journals are publishing papers that have nomenclatural "acts" in them, it seems just as bad to ignore those "acts" as to accept them with the worry that the source might disappear in the future.  Perhaps we could develop some sort of requirement for electronic archiving as an alternative to print publication/archiving, though I don't know much about the costs and limitations.

Progress is being made on the Companion Volume, though probably not as rapid as you might hope.  Summarizing what has been accomplished and what still needs to be done would take more time that it is worth.  I can tell you that I have solicited and received reviews for all of the contributions that I have received, though I have only had a chance to process about half of the reviews.  We hope to make a push to finish the review process this year.

Kevin