[Counselor_Educ] Fwd: Multicultural Disability Competence Study

Robinson, Mona robinsoh at ohio.edu
Mon Feb 8 08:44:43 EST 2016

Mona Robinson, PhD, LPCC-S, LSW, CRC
Associate Professor and Chair
Counseling and Higher Education
Ohio University
Patton College of Education
79 S. Court Street
N248 Lindley Hall
Athens, Ohio 45701
(740) 593-4461 Phone
(740) 593-0477 Fax
robinsoh at ohio.edu<mailto:robinsoh at ohio.edu>
www.ohio.edu<http://www.ohio.edu>

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Melissa D. Deroche" <mddps at my.uno.edu<mailto:mddps at my.uno.edu>>
Date: February 6, 2016 at 3:24:57 PM EST
To: "robinsoh at ohio.edu<mailto:robinsoh at ohio.edu>" <robinsoh at ohio.edu<mailto:robinsoh at ohio.edu>>
Subject: Multicultural Disability Competence Study

Dear Dr.           Robinson:
I am a graduate student pursuing my doctoral degree in counselor education and supervision and am conducting my dissertation research under the direction of Dr. Barbara Herlihy and Dr. Matthew Lyons (Co-Chairs) in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of New Orleans.  I am writing to request your assistance in accessing potential participants for my dissertation study entitled: "The Relationship between Perceived Multicultural Disability Competence, Multicultural Counseling Coursework, and Disability-related Life Experience."

To date, the topic of ability/disability has been given limited attention in the multicultural counseling literature.  Moreover, my research is timely given the recent merger between CACREP and the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) and the expected recommendations for including the topic of disability in all counseling course curriculum.  The purpose of this study, therefore, is to examine Master's-level counseling students' perceived level of competence to counsel clients with disabilities and to investigate the extent to which ability/disability is covered in multicultural counseling courses in CACREP accredited programs.

I am asking you to share this invitational letter with your master's-level counseling students enrolled in your institution's CACREP accredited counseling program(s).  Eligibility for participation in this study requires being eighteen years or older and being enrolled as a master's-level counseling student in a CACREP accredited counseling program.  The surveys are likely to take 10-15 minutes to complete. Surveys are available online using the anonymous survey link below

http://neworleans.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_24h4L4IIzTtompf

If you are not connected automatically, please copy-and-paste the link into the address box in your Internet browser and click enter.

Participating in this study is thought to have minimal risks.  However, respondents may experience uncomfortable thoughts and/or emotions related to their perceived ability to competently counsel clients with disabilities. Possible benefits of this study include participants becoming more aware of their attitudes and beliefs, knowledge, and skills regarding persons with disabilities. Study results may also provide important information about, how and in what ways, counseling programs prepare counselors to work with clients with disabilities.

Participation in this study is entirely voluntary.  Respondents may decline to participate or choose to withdraw from this study at any time without penalty.  Participants who complete the surveys will be provided with the option to submit their email addresses and be entered in a drawing for one of five $20 Amazon gift cards.  I appreciate your assistance with this research study.

Please direct any questions or concerns about this study to the co-investigator, Melissa Deroche (mddps at uno.edu<mailto:mddps at uno.edu>); the principal investigator and faculty advisor, Dr. Barbara Herlihy (bherlihy at uno.edu<mailto:bherlihy at uno.edu>); or the Office of Human Subjects Research at the University of New Orleans (unoirb.edu<http://unoirb.edu>).

Sincerely,

Melissa