[Counselor_Educ] FW: PRIDE NEXT WEEK!!!

Bhat, Christine bhatc at ohio.edu
Fri Mar 14 16:26:49 EDT 2014

From: Bautista, Delfin
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:29 PM
To: LGBT
Cc: Villegas, Megan; Jenkins, Sarah
Subject: PRIDE NEXT WEEK!!!

Saludos to all,

Next week is Pride here at OHIO!  Student Senate in collaboration with the LGBT Center and other offices has organized a prideful filled week of events from art show to trans speaker to getting active to celebrating LGBTQIA identities.  Attached two fliers, one for the whole week and one for guest speaker Tye Allums (first openly trans athlete in a division 1 team).  Please share with others and encourage folks to show their bobcat pride.

We are still collecting pictures for Faces of Pride, please email them to oulgbtcenter at gmail.com<mailto:oulgbtcenter at gmail.com> or lgbt at ohio.edu<mailto:lgbt at ohio.edu>.  If you would like to schedule a time to take a picture here in the LGBT Center, email bautista at ohio.edu<mailto:bautista at ohio.edu>.  As a reminder, what we have asked is for individuals and/or groups to take a picture holding a sign with "I am an ally because..." or "I came out as ____ because ..." or "proud to be ally because I like rainbows" or some other creative variation.  But having a sign is not required and we welcome all types of pictures.    Our ideal deadline is next Friday 3/21; let me know if you need more time.

Save the date for our 2nd Annual Queer Studies Conference on April 10th and 11th.  The theme is "Ethically and Queerly Sexual ~ Creative Explorations of Gender, Ethics, and Sexuality."  We have over 20 speakers/panelists from across the university as well as universities outside of Athens.  Our keynote speakers are trans artist Kit Yan and sexual ethicist Kate Ott.  Stay tuned for more information on times, panels, and other events connected to the conference.

Lastly, The LGBT Center is excited to introduce the Wayne Hadley Scholarship Fund's Award to support LGBT-identified undergraduate students. This award can be applied toward tuition costs, a credit-bearing study abroad program sponsored by OHIO or another accredited institution, or toward other varied types of experiences including internships, academic/professional conferences, research projects, and immersion programs (international and domestic). Recipients of the Wayne Hadley Scholarship are eligible to receive up to $2000. Find out more about the application process and how to apply<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qoHA5Wc7B-Mt41WmDwxT4dKL3_OutQdpWZpqyC2tL-E/viewform>. Deadline for applications is March 28, 2014.  Please share with undergraduate students; I have attached the application for those who want to fill out a paper version.

Many thanks for all of the support and hoping to see folks next week and at the conference (if not sooner!).

Rainbow regards and queerful solidarity
delfin

---

delfin w. bautista, MSW, MDiv.

Director, LGBT Center at Ohio University

354 Baker University Center

bautista at ohio.edu<mailto:bautista at ohio.edu>  / 740.593.2515

http://www.ohio.edu/lgbt

***preferred pronouns:  plural/gender neutral (they, them, delfin)

Join us on Facebook and Twitter:  OULGBTCenter

Follow delfin on twitter: @delfinwb

The LGBT Center advances the diversity mission of OHIO by creating a campus environment and community that is inclusive, supportive, and celebratory of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, and queerness.

"Black and Third World people are expected to educate white people as to our humanity. Women are expected to educate men. Lesbians and gay men are expected to educate the heterosexual world. The oppressors maintain their position and evade their responsibility for their own actions. There is a constant drain of energy which might be better used in redefining ourselves and devising realistic scenarios for altering the present and constructing the future." -Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches