[Counselor_Educ] Screenings of "Boys and Men Healing, dealing with child sexual abuse of males"

Davis, Thomas davist at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 8 14:39:11 EST 2012

Counseling Students,
Please see the attached message from  Katie Hanna, a former masters student in our program, and current Statewide Director of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence.  You are encouraged to consider attending the April 24th event.
Best regards,
Dr. Davis

Tom Davis, Ph.D., Secretary to the Board of Trustees and Professor
Ohio University
Athens Ohio 45701
davist at ohio.edu<mailto:davist at ohio.edu>
740-593-2958
[cid:image001.png at 01CCFD39.3A18F8A0]
"The best student-centered learning experience in America"

I hope this email finds you all well! It's been almost seven years since I finished my Master's in counseling at OU (2003-2005) and since we last connected, but I wanted to update you on the new position I have and a great co-sponsorship opportunity and film for your students to see in Athens April 24!

After graduating from OU, I moved to Cleveland and did community mental health for a year, then worked at CWRU in the Women's Center for five years providing counseling, sexual assault response and prevention programming; and in October of 2011 I started a new position as the Statewide Director of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence (OAESV). OAESV is Ohio's state coalition to for rape crisis centers/services in Ohio, providing training and technical assistance, outreach, advocacy, and a voice for programs in Ohio at the state policy level.

I am writing to request your co-sponsorship of an important event in Athens on April 24th. The Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence is working with several other organizations and co-sponsoring four different screenings across Ohio of Boys and Men Healing<http://www.bigvoicepictures.com/boys-and-men-healing/>, dealing with child sexual abuse of males. One of the screenings will be in Athens on April 24, in the evening, during Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The screening will be in Anderson Auditorium in Scripps Hall at OU.
Thomas Hodson (copied on this message) is the local Athens site host, and is primarily coordinating radio interviews with the filmmaker, Simon Weinberg, who will be in Ohio for these screenings. We are looking for two things:
1) Local co-sponsors in Athens to:

 *   Assist with Advertising and promoting the event in the Athens area
 *   Attend the event and provide resources at a table on the services you provide (prevention, response, awareness, etc.)
2) Counselors at the event, for anyone in need of talking with someone there after the event.

Particularly, if you are able to advertise this to counseling students and within the Department of Education, that would be great. I think it's a wonderful opportunity for students to see the film, hear from a panel of male survivors and also hear from the filmmaker. Additionally, if any faculty or students who are currently practicing with a license, would be available (1-2) to talk with anyone who needs to process/debrief/get referrals after the screening, we would be very appreciative.

Please let Thomas and I know at your earliest convenience if you are interested and available to co-sponsor, and/or provide any counselors at the event. Also, feel free to send this to other community partners who may also be interested in co-sponsoring.

Let us know if you have any questions! And, I will be at the screening in Athens, so I hope I get to see you there and catch up!
Thank you and take care,
Katie Hanna

--
Katie Hanna
Statewide Director

526 Superior Avenue, #1400
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
www.oaesv.org<http://www.oaesv.org/>
(888) 886-8388<tel:%28888%29%20886-8388>
(216) 658-1381 ext. 125<tel:%28216%29%20658-1381%20ext.%20125>
(216) 619-6195<tel:%28216%29%20619-6195> Fax
Email: khanna at oaesv.org<mailto:khanna at oaesv.org>