[Counselor_Educ] CSI Celebrates LGBT History Month/Safe Zone

Williams, Natalie nw351909 at ohio.edu
Wed Oct 19 21:50:48 EDT 2011

Good evening CSI Members, Counselor Education Students, and Faculty:

In case you haven't heard, October is LGBT History Month. And tomorrow, October 20, is SPIRIT DAY in honor of the LGBT people who have taken their own lives due to homophobic abuse and torment.

Everyone is encouraged to wear purple tomorrow since purple is a sign of support for LGBT youth and to speak out against bullying. You can also "go purple" in other ways. Learn how: http://www.glaad.org/spiritday. Let’s all work to create a world in which LGBT teens are celebrated and accepted for who they are!

Also, Chi Sigma Iota - Alpha Chapter is encouraging ALL counseling faculty, staff, and students to become Safe Zone Members, if you have not already done so. This is an excellent opportunity to increase multicultural counseling competence on issues related specifically to the LGBT community. We will participate in two trainings this quarter:  Wed. Oct. 26 @ 10-12 noon in Baker 356 and Tues. Nov. 1 @ 7-9 p.m. in Baker 239. The training is FREE and open to all OU students and faculty: To register, go to http://www.ohio.edu/lgbt/programs/safezone.cfm

Show your support for our LGBT family members, friends, students, and clients. National Coming Out Day was October 11, and there are so many people who need our support, now more than ever.

Thank you for your commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect for ALL.

Sincerely,

Natalie F. Williams, M.S.
President, Chi Sigma Iota - Alpha Chapter
Doctoral Student