[Classclimate-users] Class Climate Upgrade and Next Steps - OIT Update

Major-Rohrer, Eszti emrohrer at ohio.edu
Tue Nov 5 14:16:00 EST 2019

Dear Class Climate Sub-Unit Admins,

I am Eszti Major-Rohrer, Service Owner of Academic Technology at OIT. On October 28, 2019 we upgraded the Class Climate server and software to a newer version. Please take a look at our website https://www.ohio.edu/oit/teaching/testing-and-surveys/course-and-instructor-evaluations/help-and-resources to review the changes. To make sure that your existing questionnaires are compatible with the changes included with version 8, can you please select the Edit Option for any questionnaire you plan to deploy.  When you do so, you will receive an option to convert the questionnaire to the new version as well as an explanation of what that change entails.  If you have already printed the paper forms for a questionnaire that has not yet been updated, please either do not update the questionnaire or print new forms after the questionnaire has been updated.  Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact the Service Desk at servicedesk at ohio.edu<mailto:servicedesk at ohio.edu>.

I wanted to share the news of this update with you, and add that we are actively exploring opportunities to make the system more efficient. We understand that currently you, as sub-unit admins act mostly as your own support agents, trainers, and that you handle account additions and removals in addition to your daily duties. Our goal is for OIT to provide support for activities that could be managed centrally. In a nutshell, we are exploring the below improvements, and as we work through our evaluations, we would appreciate your feedback, requirements and comments.

Item
Date
Why?
Server upgrade/ Move to version 8
October 28, 2019
Increased security, more updated technology, a precursor of upcoming action items.
Training transition
Fall 2019
OIT will review and update training materials and host training as needed for sub-unit admins after Spring 2020.
Review user provisioning workflow
End of November, 2019
OIT's provisioning agents can support the addition and removal of users to centrally managed software. We will take a look at the current provisioning workflow and report back on our recommendation.
Data clean up proposal
Targeting for the Proposal: End of Fall Semester
The system has never gone through a planned data archive process, which could be useful to remove old information from the system. We will draft a plan for our approach and review with you to make sure this meets your requirements.
User clean up proposal
Post data clean up
Internal audit best practices recommend that users with elevated privileges to systems should be audited at least twice per year, as such we would like to perform an audit of the current sub-unit admins in the system. We would also like to investigate the possibility of putting Class Climate behind Single Sign On.  For this, we have to make sure we do proper mapping of current user accounts and associated survey information - after the data clean up, this, hopefully will be more efficient.
LMS Integration Proposal (Potential LTI)
Post data and user clean up
The LMS integration provides no functionality to those that create surveys, it only serves as a means for the students to submit their surveys or for faculty to review their results.  This functionality is, however, complicated by the fact that the identifying information in Class Climate does not match the identifying information in the LMS.  Part of the data and user evaluation and clean up will include researching options to make this data more cross compatible.

As our team explores these options, we would like to engage with you to ask questions, discuss your pain points and get your ideas so that our proposals are robust but achieveable. Thank you very much for your collaboration, in advance!

Best,

Eszti Major-Rohrer
Service Owner, Academic Technology
Interim Manager, Academic Technology