[Biking-L] Club Sports Cut for LDWS

Fahey, Patrick pf185005 at ohio.edu
Wed Feb 17 11:50:14 EST 2010

Fellas,

I just got some potentially harsh news. Club Sports may have some serious cuts with the upcoming OU budget adjustments. The upcoming LDWS meeting will apparently be on the budget cuts topic, so we should all come to hear first hand what will happen and what it means for us in the future. See the e-mail I received below

Remember, that LDWS meeting will be on Thursday, February 25 @ 7:30pm in Bentley 233.

Thanks,
Pat

Hello all fellow Club Sports Representatives,

I am writing to you today on a very important issue that could jeopardize the future of OU Club Sports.  President McDavis's new budget Proposal is set to cut around 7.55% of Recreation Funds, and since Club Sports is part of the Rec Dept., the budget cut would totally eliminate Club Sports.  What is really disappointing is that they are not telling the whole story.  I talked with Jeremy Engel yesterday for about an hour on this issue, and he went through the budget cut excel sheet and he explained that they are making it public that they are cutting only 7.55% of funds, but due to bonds and some other financial factors that deals with Club Sports, they are really cutting around 13-14%, so that is a huge amount of money, and all in all, it would equal the end of Club Sports.  Now some of you may be happy about this, but what this means is that there will be no funds what-so-ever given to our teams by the school.  All expenses, dues, everything would be on us, meaning that most of our programs will have to increase dues, and so on, that could possibly have a negative impact on our teams futures.  I don't know about you all, but without Club Sports, there is no way that Mens Crew could survive without their financial help.  So, some of you may see this as a good thing, but all I can tell you is that if Club Sports goes down, we will not have a governing body for all sports, which would lead to some unorganized events in the future, leading to a chaotic experience doing a sport here.  We need order in this area, and Club Sports supports/provides that.  What I am asking you all to do, is make your team members aware of this situation, and spread the word that we can not let this happen.  Jeremy Engel told me that the LDWS meeting that is coming up is going to change their topic to this issue and what we can do about it, so I encourage you all to come to it and find out how we can fight for our futures.  I appreciate your time, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  Thanks.

Tyler C. Ardrey
OU Men's Crew President
Exercise Physiology