[ASU] Ebola and you

Howard, Steve howard at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 19 14:37:15 EST 2014

friends, I have been thinking lately that some students from African countries may be avoiding local medical and health services, like the hospital or Hudson Health Center, because of concerns about being interrogated about Ebola. Of course, we know which African countries are currently struggling with this epidemic, and we know we are trying to inform the public around us about the myths and realities of this disease. But I do want you to know that health care workers in this country are quickly getting updated about Ebola- and this takes time. My central message to you all is that you should not avoid medical care because you don't want to be asked a lot of questions about Ebola. If you do not feel well, you should avail yourself of whatever health facilities are nearby and don't just self-medicate serious illness. You can reply to "Ebola questions" with polite statements like, "Thanks for your concern, but Ebola has never effected my country." Or, "I have been in the US for several years without traveling anywhere," etc. etc. And then get whatever service you require from that facilty.

But most of all, please stay safe and healthy.

Steve Howard
Director, African Studies Program and Graduate Director,
    Center for International Studies
Professor, School of Media Arts and Studies