[ASU] Africa's Hero Nomination

Zere, Abraham az148810 at ohio.edu
Wed Nov 6 10:03:36 EST 2013

Dear ASU members and executive body,

I want to nominate Elsa Chyrum, human right activist, for an African Hero’s Award of 2013. Ms. Chyrum is involved in many community-based activities regarding African refugees and mainly the Eritrean refugees. She has been actively advocating since the Ethio-Eritrean border conflict when Ethiopia forcible and inhumanly deported over 70,000 Eritreans.  Ms. Chyrum is currently doing a tremendous job single-handedly where more than 40 political opposition parties have failed to achieve. In one of the most repressive regimes of the continent, where yearly about 305,000 people are fleeing the country, according to UNHCR reports, from a small population of 3.5 million at most, Chyrum’s role in advocating their rights is crucial.

Our recent case example is the Lampadusa tragedy that we conducted candle vigil that took the lives of 350 people, mostly Eritreans.

I am nominating Ms. Chyrum as a contribution of bringing to spotlight of the most tragic Eritrean situation. I feel honoring her would mean paying attention to the tragic Eritrean current situation. You can read more about her on http://hrc-eritrea.org/elizabeth-elsa-chyrum-human-rights-activist-eritrea/

Sincerely,
Abraham Zere