[ASU] The Institute of the African Child Lecture!

Joan Kanyange jk573108 at ohio.edu
Mon Oct 5 21:14:49 EDT 2009

Hi all,

The Institute for African Child is hosting the first lecture in our
series "What's Working for Kids in Africa: A Discussion of Best
Practices" this Friday at 2:00 p.m. in Bentley 233. Our speaker is Dr.
Kristen Cheney, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, from the University
of Dayton. Her talk "Up from the Grassroots: How community-based orphan
care becomes national policy" will run from 2-3 p.m.. A reception will
follow from 3-4 p.m..

Dr. Cheney's work centers on children's survival strategies amidst
difficult circumstances in Eastern and Southern Africa. As a Fulbright
2008-9 Africa Regional Research Scholar, She has been conducting
collaborative ethnographic research with children affected by HIV/AIDS
to better understand how they tap into various community and
international resources, in order to ensure their own survival.

We're looking forward to seeing you at the lecture and thank you for
supporting The Institute for the African Child.

Kind Regards,
Andria Sherrow
Assistant Director, The Institute for the African Child
Managing Editor, Childhood in Africa: An Interdisciplinary Journal
Center for International Studies
Ohio University
www.afrchild.ohio.edu