[ASU] Issues Arising from the Elections

Siphokazi Magadla sm103708 at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 5 10:34:43 EST 2009

Dear Members,

This message I write in my personal capacity, not as the incoming Vice
President. Indeed most of us have delighted in the built-up to the elections.
When our members braved the cold winter evening I was convinced that beyond
the candidates, the organization was the biggest winner of all. The members of
this organization claimed their position in all this excitement and rightly
so. They knew that they have the final say, not the candidates; THEY are the
ones who direct the future of this organization, not the candidates.

Brother Prosper arrives at two points of disagreement: the votes that did not
match the number of registered voters, and the “parading” of the ballot by
some of our members. The first point was well addressed well before the
counting and the announcement of the results, so I will not address it. The
second point however needs closer inspection. The idea that some of our
members were parading their votes to others carries with it the undertone that
some members were convinced by others which candidate to vote for. But you and
I know that is far from the truth. The idea that some members who dared the
winter cold arrived at the electoral headquarters having not decided which
candidate to vote for is not being fair to the electorate. The exchange
between members and the executive has demonstrated the high level of
participation that this organization has. At times I have felt very sorry for
the executive, when members fire questions from left, right and centre. But
this is kind of vibrant environment one prepares to serve. So for some of us
to doubt the credibility of our members’ decision at this critical moment is
to me very disturbing and unqualified.

The night before the elections Moses asked- why all this dancing before the
night of the feast? I pose my own question- what feast is all this dancing
for?

Siphokazi Magadla

"I'm so disturbed when my women students behave as though they can only read
women, or black students behave as though they can only read blacks, or white
students behave as though they can only identify with a white writer." - bell
hooks