[ASU] Issues Arising from the Elections

Kwabena Owusu-Kwarteng ko899105 at ohio.edu
Thu Mar 5 02:51:38 EST 2009

All,

The debate going on about the possibility of annulling the elections is a
good and healthy one. Like others have pointed out let us debate the issues
and not attack the personality of those raising the issues.

As Damilola has pointed out, the constitution of the ASU gives us no
recourse to annul the election. That being said, if the irregularities
being pointed to by Prosper were so bad and he had recommendations he
should have voiced them before the electoral process. Waiting a couple of
days to voice those solutions to perceived problems has done us no good.

Also, the issue of annulling the elections should be a non-starter since
Prosper stood in front of the general body to concede the elections. Yes,
he pointed out some of the issues he has stated for seeking the annulment
but he still conceded. If those irregularities were so great why concede?

In addition, for an annulment to be made currently the GB must meet to
amend the constitution. If such an amendment is made at this point, on what
grounds will we have to apply it retroactively? I will recommend Prosper in
all decorum to re-concede the election and work with the incoming executive
to fix the electoral process where it falls short.

If that does not work and you still want to be President of an
organization, ISU is still around and we always need dedicated men and
women to serve on the Executive to champion the International and African
student cause.Over to you...

Kwabena Owusu-Kwarteng
Assistant Residential Coordinator
Crawford/Mackinnon Complex

Department of Residence Life & Off Campus Living
Ohio University
South Green Office
Athens, Ohio 45701

O: 740.597.3002