[ASU] Letter to Dr. Adeyanju

Selam G-Alemayo sg387904 at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 3 23:22:48 EST 2009

Hi everyone,
I hope all is well with everyone. I got a question about ASU’s constitution…but
first don’t forget to join us this coming Friday March 6, 2009 for UNICEF event
at Baker center multicultural center, 6pm-8pm.
Here is my question:
Does the ASU constitution say, you must be a member to run for a position? If
not, it should be included!!!

I am not trying to be against Prosper b/c he has a right to question the
election process.

However, I feel that one should be an active member to run for a position to
begin with. From my understanding, most people voted for the current president
because he is an active member of ASU, but Prosper you never attended the
meeting or events. One of the reasons might be because you did not received the
emails, but most of us don’t even read the email, as a member of the African
community not just ASU, everyone usually get information from word of mouth (as
it is done in most places in African oral tradition) for example, most of us
including you are in the library everyday and when there is a meeting, you know
everyone is gathering and asking each other if they’re going to the
meeting...anyhow...I am trying to make a point here.  This quarter I personal
have not been as active member as I would like to, but when there is an event, I
am there. However, I’m not sure I would have a right to run for president.

Honestly, this whole process has been interesting because most students talked
about the voting day more than any other ASU election in the past (ever since
I’ve been at OU). It’s well organized, but it’s not perfect, is any election in
world’s history perfect? Well, I haven’t seen one yet. From my observation, the
election on Saturday was close to perfect.  When you have one which got 75% of
the votes, while another got 25%, that is a major statement in itself.

With all due respect, Prosper, let me remind you that this is a student
organization; students have been volunteering to create some wonderful events
(they put a lot of effort, it’s no joke) and let’s also understand that ASU is
in a process of growing and improving.

Thank you,
Selam