[ASU] We Refused to be "future leaders" of the continent

George Wakaba Gathigi gg267404 at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 3 22:38:13 EST 2009

Members.

I am sure we all have "enjoyed" the election dance. Although one member thought
a few weeks ago that the day of the dance shall come and pass, we are still
dancing. This day has been truly long.

There are many arguments that have been raised regarding "democracy" and
justification of the same. In the last beats of the dance that I have listened
and dance, the possibility that some members are future leaders has moved me.

I am stunned by the idea that some of us, having been fed (against our will) the
of old  rhetoric of pre-1990s autocratic or dictatorial states may have
swallowed and digested  the litany of the ruling class. Now we are freely
whistling the refrain. A common catchphrase some of us remember employed by
leaders like Daniel arap Moi was "The youth are the leaders of the
future/tomorrow". We were supposed to stay still waiting for our time come, may
be in 2050, if it ever comes.

Is it an accident to hear such rhetoric today? The last time I checked, ASU is
an organization that comprises of former ministers, managers, teachers,
community organizers, activists, and many more. Are these not leaders? What
future are we talking about here? The people I know are leaders. Neither are
many of us waiting to go back to the proverbial continent to be leaders for
leadership need not be political. We lead everyday from wherever place we are.

Ten years ago, I was a member of a movement in Kenya called Youth Agenda. We
campaigned on foot and managed to get some young people to the parliament.

Our motto was "Young and taking charge, for tomorrow has come". If ten years ago
was tomorrow, to be referred as a future leader is to be taken to the
prehistoric age.

Whatever point we want convey by alluding to the "future", our future is yesterday.

For me and my house, I am a leader and shall not be called a future leader!

Have a leading day/night.

George Gathigi