[ASU] Format of the debate

dk158907 at ohio.edu dk158907 at ohio.edu
Thu Feb 19 01:01:20 EST 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen
the electoral committee would like to share with you their format
 concerning the debate on Saturday, February 21st .

the debate will be starting at 8.30pm and will be divided into 3 main phases:
 Phase one
candidates viaing for the office of Vice president, secretary, publicity
secretary,research secretary, social secretary and treasurer will each be given
2 minutes to present their manifestos or intentions for ASU.
Therefore, questions may be sent through email targeting any of the
offices mentionded above or the candidates viaing for such offices.In
addition, time will be given them(candidates), to answer questions during the
debate night.

Phase Two
Presidential debate
A coin will be tossed to decide which candidate speaks first
The two candidates for the office of president will be given 10
minutes each to make a case for their candidacy.
After which the members of the electoral committee will present your
questions to the candidates.Please send  your questions directly to
dk158907 at ohio.edu.
(Please do not send your questions through the listserve)

Candidates will be given a maximum of 2 minutes  to answer each question.

 Phase three
after all the questions you sent are exhausted,(remember those questions are
the ones you sent to dk158907 at ohio.edu)if time permits, the floor will be
opened to the audience to ask additional questions. Before that, the audience
will not be given the chance to intervene  and we urge all members to respect
this for the sake of time and organization.

As for now, we encourage all members who would like to have a particular issue
addressed during the debate, to send their questions to the following email
address: dk158907 at ohio.edu;
It is the email address of one of the members of the electoral committee and
we assure you that the questions will not be leaked to the candidates. For
that reason therefore, we would like you to send your questions latest by
Friday  at 10pm. After that time, no more questions will be accepted and no
more campaign should be going on through the list serve.
In addition, all nominations should be done by the same deadline Friday 10pm in
order for us to finalize things. Regarding the issue of nominations, we should
remember that there is no need of nominating  a person who was already
nominated and members should be sure that a person is interested in a certain
position before nominating that person. There is also no need to second a
nomination since it is not a motion.

We still need candidates for the post of treasurer, secretary and social
secretary.

The reason why we want people to send us their questions is for us to be able
to compile a list where all our individual questions will be presented in a
way that avoids repetitions. In addition, we will have a maximum of
1h30minutes for the whole debate and we really need to fit all this in this
short period of time. Of course, as mentioned earlier, after all your
questions are fielded to the candidates, if time permits, there will be an
opportunity for the members of the audience  to ask additional questions.You
can send questions directed to any candidate or office.
 when presenting a particular question to a particular candidate, the
moderator will mention the name of the person from who the question is from.

All candidates are expected to have paid their dues before Friday10pm in order
to be allowed to talk or present his manifesto on Saturday.
Thank you all for your collaboration.

ASU electoral committee.