[Aphio-L] BOOK DRIVE FOR UGANDA

cp201507 at ohio.edu cp201507 at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 10 13:54:37 EDT 2009

Fellow APhiO members:

This past holiday season, I began a community book drive to support the
nonprofit organization Invisible Children. Invisible Children is aiding the
helpless children of Northern Uganda who have been devastated by the world’s
longest civil war. Most children over the age of 5 have been kidnapped and are
fighting in this war. As the war is seemingly coming to a final end, the
children who survived are in dire need of education. Unfortunately, most of
their schools have been destroyed due to the violence and destruction caused
by the war.

another nonprofit organization, Better World Books, to provide education to
these unfortunate children. The books I receive from my book drive will be
donated directly to Better World Books. They will do one of two things with
the books I donate. First, if the books they receive can be used in the
schools of Northern Uganda, they will send them directly to the schools for
the children. (Your books can be directly sent to Uganda!) Secondly, books
which cannot be used by the schools but have secondary value will be sold
online and the money generated will be used to buy textbooks for schools in
Uganda.

If you have any books around your dorm room or even at home that you would
like to donate, please let me know. I thought I would send this out before
everyone leaves for spring break so if you have books at home you can bring
them back if you'd like. Better World Books is accepting ALL books, including
textbooks, children's books, novels, etc. However, they do request no
magazines or encyclopedias. Once I receive 10,000 books, Invisible Children
sends a truck directly to OU to pick up the books. I am about halfway to my
goal and hope to reach it by the end of spring quarter. Every donation makes a
difference, even if you have one book to give.

Also, if you are interested in helping me out at all during spring quarter to
help collect books around campus, please let me know. I could always use more
help.

For more information, please do not hesitate to call me at 440-231-1939 or
shoot me an email. Additional information regarding the book drive can be
found at invisiblechildren.com.

Thank you very much for your consideration. The children of Uganda will be
extremely grateful for your generosity.

Sincerely,

Christine Patella
cp201507 at ohio.edu