[Aar-mbh] [External] Call for proposals for the 2023 meeting

Bruce Millen Sullivan Bruce.Sullivan at nau.edu
Thu Jan 12 18:40:13 EST 2023

Use caution with links and attachments.

Good day, readers of the AAR Listserv on the Mahābhārata.

Call for Proposals for the meeting in 2023

The Seminar’s call for papers for its third year includes "Regional, Vernacular, and Performative Mahābhārata Traditions"

This session would be devoted to texts and traditions of Mahābhārata performances such as theater, dance, and recitation, and vernacular language textual traditions, with a focus on the religious uses of these traditions.  Modern retellings in pulp, graphic, and film formats are also relevant to this area of inquiry.

In response to the 2023 Presidential Theme, we also include a call for proposals on the Mahābhārata’s depictions of serving or marginalized classes – the dasis, the sutas, the hunters and butchers and fisher-folk, emphasizing their roles as exemplars of wisdom and dharma.  We are also interested in proposals that consider the literal and figurative "handcrafting" of Mahābhārata, by authors ancient or modern who contribute in original ways to leave their mark on retellings of epic narratives.

In an effort to encourage diversity in seminar participants, those who presented papers in our 2022 meeting are unlikely to have proposals accepted for the 2023 meeting.  We seek to include the best proposals we receive.

As we operate as a seminar, papers are due October 1, will be circulated on this Listserv so we can read them before the meeting, and each paper will receive about half an hour of discussion at the meeting with the aim to offer suggestions for improving and extending the papers for possible publication.

Bruce M. Sullivan
Professor Emeritus
Northern Arizona University
https://nau.academia.edu/BruceSullivan