[Aar-mbh] Seminar approved: meeting in November

Bruce Millen Sullivan Bruce.Sullivan at nau.edu
Fri Jan 24 11:43:41 EST 2020

Good day all,

The American Academy of Religion has approved our proposal for a Seminar entitled "The Mahābhārata and Classical Hinduism."  We will have one or two sessions at each AAR meeting, the first one being in Boston, November 21-24, 2020.  Future meetings will be in San Antonio, Denver, San Antonio again, and San Diego.

Our first meeting has this as our call for paper proposals:
An Open Call for Papers on the State of the Field of Mahābhārata Studies
This session is dedicated to taking stock of what has been accomplished to date, what approaches to the text and its interpretation show the most promise, and areas in which new research are most urgently needed. An appraisal of the extensive contributions of Alf Hiltebeitel to the understanding of the text would be included.

Note that this might include a paper on the state of Bhagavad Gītā studies, or other portions of the text such as Harivaṃśa or Nārāyaṇīya studies, or regional versions, etc.

The format of the Seminar is as follows.  Paper proposals are due March 1; we will use the PAPERS system via the AAR website.  Details will be provided once this is set up.  Notification of acceptance by the Steering Committee should be provided about April 1.  Accepted papers are to be completed and circulated to Seminar participants at least one month prior to the meeting, so plan on October 15 (or earlier) as the date for submission of the completed paper.  At the meeting, the papers will be discussed.

Please consider proposing a paper for our Seminar, either for this year's session or in future years. Additional information will be forthcoming soon.

Best wishes--

Bruce

Bruce M. Sullivan
Professor Emeritus