[UC1000] University College Advising

Lester, Greg lesterj at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 21 16:56:31 EDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions we had about advising yesterday afternoon. I am excited to see how each of you will advance as advisors and take advising beyond "bookkeeping" and, in fact, beyond developmental advising. As we begin the 2013-2014 academic year, I'll challenge each of you to think expansively about advising; to consider how you can implement Lowenstein's ideas into the advising process; and to share your ideas with your fellow advisors.

If you were not able to make it to the training yesterday, please check out the attached article and make plans to attend one of the two make-up trainings I'll have once the semester begins. These will be held in 301U Alden Library (the Faculty Commons) on Wednesday, 9/4, from 3:00-5:00PM and on Thursday, 9/12, from 9:00-11:00AM.

Also, each adjunct advisor has a University College professional advisor as a back-up. This person is your primary source for information and assistance. If you have an advising question, ask your back-up advisor. If you need to trouble-shoot a situation in class, ask your back-up advisor. If you are sick and need help covering your advising meetings, ask your back-up advisor. (Please remember that your Learning Community Leaders—formerly Peer Mentors—should never be your substitute as academic advisor. Again, ask your back-up advisor.) Please see the attached list of back-up advisors and don't hesitate to reach out when needed. We are glad to help.

Finally, this email is coming to you through the UC 1000 Instructors-Advisors listserv (uc1000instructors-advisors at listserv.ohio.edu). Please post announcements, ideas, and questions to this address. By doing so, we can all stay well informed and have a stronger advising community.

Sincerely,

Greg

Greg Lester, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean, Advising and Student Services
Director, Ohio Fellows Program
University College
140 Chubb Hall
Ohio University