[Tribeta-L] TriBeta Meeting Reminder and Information

Evans, Elizabeth ee702811 at ohio.edu
Wed Sep 10 00:10:04 EDT 2014

Hi everyone!

Initially, I apologize in advance for the long email, but we have a lot of important to share...

I have received a lot of emails from people who were not able to make it to the first meeting, and I promised a recap of the important things we talked about.  After we introduced the exec board we talked a little about membership requirements.

  *   ?Service, social, hike:  Every semester, active members must participate in at least one service and social event as well as attend one nature hike.  (We will have multiple opportunities to complete these requirements as an organization and be passing out calendars at our next meeting)
  *   Scientific Lecture/Talk: Every member must attend at least one lecture or talk per semester.  There are lots of opportunities to do this here on campus  including two opportunities on Wednesday, Sept 10!
     *   Eco Lunch Talk: Hear a talk from a member of the BIOS dept EVERY Wednesday from 11:50-12:45 in Irvine 159 (tomorrow the talk is about Antarctic fishes with climate change).
     *   Science Cafe:  An interesting lecture and conversation from a faculty member EVERY Wednesday at 5pm in Front Room Coffee House in Baker University Center(tomorrow the talk is about the ethics of stem cell research).  The first 50 people receive free coffee!
     *   *To receive credit for attending a talk, please check in with either a member of the exec board or Dr. Tanda at the talk!
  *   Due$:  There is some confusion between chapter dues and national membership dues.
     *   National membership dues are a one time fee of $45 for an associate membership, and are due in the spring at the time of initiation.
     *   Chapter dues are $25 per year or $15 per semester to be paid ASAP.  These fees help to cover the cost of events, food, etc. at meetings and other organization sponsored programs.

?Additionally, methods of contact and communication:

  *   Twitter: follow us @TriBetaFish
  *   Facebook: like our page Beta Beta Beta Xi Phi Chapter
  *   listserv:  this is our email list and our primary source of communication
     *   to subscribe please go to:  http://listserv.ohio.edu/mailman/listinfo
     *   Scroll down and select our organization: Tribeta - L
     *   follow the steps to create an account under the section "Subscribing to Tribeta-L" and click on Subscribe
     *   You will receive a confirmation email asking you to click on a link or follow the steps to confirm you subscription to tribeta listserv

Finally, our next meeting will be Tuesday, September 16th at 8:00pm in Walter 235.  We will be playing some games and getting to know all of our new members as well as discussing some business items.  In order to get our t-shirt order in before our first event, we are asking all members interested in purchasing a t-shirt to bring $10 as an initial payment (there will be a secondary, very small (1-4 dollars) payment once we know our order size).  We will have a few designs to vote on, and lots of future events to talk about.  We hope to see you there!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Happy Hump Day,
Elizabeth

?

Elizabeth Evans
Majors in Biological Sciences (B.S.), Spanish (B.A.)
Beta Beta Beta Xi Phi Chapter Vice-President